Monday, 20 June 2011

What's happening....

Just a quick update. I am still in Johannesburg, awaiting my Angolan visa. I should have it sometime this week. When I phoned again this morning they said to phone again tomorrow morning! Okidoki then.

In the meantime, I have decided to apply for my visas for the DRC and Congo as well, whilst I am in Johannesburg. Seeing as I will only have 30 days to get through Angola, it would be a big gamble to apply for my DRC and Congo visas in Luanda as that would probably delay me another two weeks. The total distance I will have to cover from the Namibia/Angola border to the Angola/DRC border is about 1 800 Kilometers.  Even if I maintained a 100km p/day average, it would probably take me about 16 days to get to Luanda (including rest days). This would then leave me 14 days to sort out visas for the next two countries plus getting to the border and with rest days...it's just too much of a risk. I have no guarantee that the visas will be processed within two weeks. So all-in-all, it just makes sense to get the visas now.

This way I am sorted (visa wise) all the way to Cameroun. (I don't need a visa for Gabon - Yay!)

In the meantime I'm working on getting a print-media partner on board to publish regular updates and racking my brain regarding potential sponsors/possible sponsorship opportunities. A major potential sponsor, unfortunately, shot me down last week. I've lost count of how many potential sponsors I have contacted, met, spoken to etc. I'm running out of ideas, so if you have any...please feel free to let me know. :)

The question everyone is asking: "when will you be back on the road"?
I can't say for sure. It all basically depends on how soon I can get all these visas sorted.

On a lighter note though, I find it very interesting how I crossed my first border on a spectacular full moon, and now whilst back home...a lunar eclipse. I think my bike (Luna) misses me. She's so far away from me, on her own, in Windhoek. I think she blocked out the moon!! :))









Facebook Group

2 comments:

Hanret said...

Amele Luna!! Do you think she was howling at the moon?

Jolandie Rust said...

Die amele Luna ja. Of course she was howling at the moon!! Hehehe. :)